[AZ-Observing] Re: Stuart's Flash

  • From: "Orman Joe-P27491" <Joe.Orman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 15:33:00 -0700

For those who haven't heard, a few weeks ago it was announced that =
Stuart's Flash was tied to a fresh-looking crater in images from the =
Clementine lunar orbiter ("NASA Solves Half-Century Old Moon Mystery"):
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/releases/2003/23.cfm =20
It has more recently been demonstrated that this crater also appears in =
pre-1953 images, so it could NOT have been caused by the flash:
http://skyandtelescope.com/news/current/article_890_1.asp
I assume the purpose of the ALPO request is to identify other craters in =
the area that could be associated with the flash.

--Joe Orman