[AZ-Observing] Starting a Long Memorial Day Weekend

  • From: Andrew Cooper <acooper@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ-Observing <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, TAAA Forum <taaaforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 23:36:58 -0700

Tonight marks the first night in a long Memorial Day weekend outing for
me.   Taking advantage of the timing with a New Moon and Memorial Day
meeting on the calendar for once I took a few days off work for five
nights of solid astronomy!!

So here I am with Violet set up under beautiful dark skies in western
New Mexico, Dean Salman set up with his Takahishi a few feet away.  A
few other scopes show up tomorrow.  A comfy bed for Deb when she gets
tired (she went to sleep around ten) and a fridge full of Mt. Dew and a
pot of homemade chili to keep me running all night long.  Add wireless
Internet at the scope and everything is perfect!

Spent the first part of the night perusing through galaxies in Virgo and
a few more in Centaurus.  The Milky Way is rising now, looking
absolutely beautiful rising above the ridge line to the east.

I found Palomar 5, not easy!  A very faint patch of stars about 10'
across in Serpens.  There are a few more Palomars on the list for the
night, I don't expect to be successful with all of them, even with the 18".

I might pop in with a few more observing notes when I get up tomorrow,
just to whet everyones appetite before a good  New Moon weekend.

Andrew

Andrew Cooper