[AZ-Observing] Re: Southern Milkyway with Sigma fisheye

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 12:33:38 -0400

---- Chris Schur <comets133@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> sigma 8mm f/3.5 fisheye lens pointed at the zenith...

Chris, nice shot.  That fisheye is really sharp at f/5.0!  Your image shows the
North America Nebula and Eta Carinae in one frame.

> The sky was fairly dark in the Outback, reading 21.6 on the SQM meter in a
> bland part of the sky.

Since there was no source of light pollution down to the horizon, I wonder why
the reading wasn't closer to 22.0.  Was the reading affected by the presence of
the Milky Way.  I thought that people have read 21.6 from their SQM's at Five
Mile Meadow, which is dark, but it ain't the Outback.

Tom