[AZ-Observing] Re: Solar Activity Surges

  • From: "Steven Dodder" <sdodder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 01:08:46 +0000

>From: Jeff Hopkins  said
>Yesterday the spot
>was barely visible; now it is about 7 times wider than Earth.

I believe you meant, it "appeared to be barely visibly."  I spotted this
disturbance, along with the pros, since Friday and while it has grown
rapidly, its appearence is forshortened by its position on the Sun and our
viewing angle.  It may have been quite large before rotating into view.  One
may wish to check solar observatory data such as GONG or Spacewatch.

Steve and Rosie Dodder
sdodder@xxxxxxxxxxx
Visit my web site at http://www.stargazing.net/Astroman