[AZ-Observing] Sky Conditions at Cherry Road Site area

  • From: "Stanley A. Gorodenski" <stan_gorodenski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 14:02:20 -0800

It is thundering and raining over the Bradshaws around Prescott and
Mingus Mountain, and very cloudy between the two to the north. It is
clear toward Phoenix and to the east there is partial cloudiness around
the Cherry Road site area.

This may not sound good, but from my experience in the area it may not
necessarily portend a bad night. This kind of condition can easily, and
a lot of times does, clear for the night, and if not completely clear
still good enough for a star 'party'. I remember the Messier Marathon I
went ahead and attended about 3-4 years ago. It had been canceled
because of weather conditions, but in the end it turned out to be an
acceptable night (but not perfect) and some observers got all or nearly
all objects. If I  had  woken up this morning to a wet and _completely_
overcast sky then I would be inclined to say the night will not be good.

Having said all this, I am not endorsing that it will be a good night.
This could be one of the time where it does not clear at night.
Stan