[AZ-Observing] Sky Calendars for 2011 -ready for downloading

  • From: "Doug Snyder" <starhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "amastro" <amastro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "haclist" <haclist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 13:36:02 -0700

Hello all observing ladies and gentlemen,

We wanted to bring to your attention  these ad-free, and free, single-sheet
2011 SkyCalendar's that are well suited for astronomer's in and around the
state of Arizona. There are currently two editions available for download,
although both apply to sky phenomena for Arizona since it's the state that
falls under Mountain Standard Time and does not fall victim to Daylight Savings
Time (DST). This single-sheet calendar, just now released for the year 2011,
lists almost every known sky event to be occurring for Arizona observers,
month-by-month. All of the times and dates shown on the sheet are in MST and
not UT, so there is no time conversions necessary.
We apologize to all receiving this message who are not in Arizona or in the
time zone MST !

There is one version mainly available for the members of the Huachuca Astronomy
Club (HAC) or just Friends of HAC; this version contains not just sky phenomena
events for 2011, but also all currently scheduled meetings, star parties and
other club related events throughout the year.  This edition is available for
download at:

http://www.hacastronomy.com/cal/2011_skycalendar_MST_V2.pdf

Now, a second version is available that does not list the Huachuca Astronomy
Club events;  the monthly listings show most sky phenomena happenings for the
year applicable for Arizona observers, but skips club functions.  This is
indeed very handy for Arizona observers, or again Friends of Arizona Observers,
who cannot attend the HAC events.  This download can be found at:

http://www.hacastronomy.com/cal/2011_skycalendar_VDS1.pdf

As can be seen, these 'calendars' are available as PDF's, and there are steps
underway to have a related 'blog' so that the updates and many other details of
the sky phenomena can be accessed from the HAC website.  This feature should be
available within a few days of the new year.

We are pleased to present this free download, and hope that it will, if
downloaded and utilized, be an asset to the many Arizona observers and
astronomers.  Until the 'blog' is online, please feel free to ask questions or
post comments on these current forums. Also, please pass on to other folks that
are not current members of the forums that these 2011 Sky Calendar's are freely
available.

The Huachuca Astronomy Club (located in southeast Arizona) is pleased to have
as it's newly elected President, Mr. Bob Gent; many of you know Bob as also
being  the past president of the Astronomical League and of his associations
with the IDA.  HAC's new web master is Mr. Ken Kirchner  (
www.hacastronomy.com  ); now sitting on the HAC Board of Directors is Wayne
Johnson and Doug Snyder, both past presidents of HAC.  We are also privileged
to have on our Board both George (Bob) Kepple and Glen Sanner, co-authors of
the multi-volume Night Sky Observer's Guide.  Yes Virginia, there are a number
of AZ Observers down here.

Clear Skies & Good Health,
Doug Snyder
Arizona Observer