[AZ-Observing] Re: Shuttle Reentry Visible???

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 21:02:05 -0400

---- Jimmy Ray <jimmy_ray@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I see that the Shuttle will be landing at 0914 hrs EST Monday which =
> would be 6:14 our time. Does anyone know the flight path or if it will =
> be visible here in Arizona? I haven't found anything yet on the Web...

Jimmy,

The ground tracks are shown here.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/shuttlemissions/sts121/mission_docs/landing.html

It's more of an ocean track than a ground track, and it's too far south to be
visible from Arizona.  I doubt that another Shuttle will approach the Cape from
the northwest over populated regions of the U.S. after Columbia's
disintigration.

Tom