[AZ-Observing] Re: Shopping Advice from anyone?

  • From: "Bernard Miller" <bgmiller011@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 19:04:49 -0700

John,

The ST-8300 is a great camera. I have it and love it. I can't speak to the
pro package because I just have the camera and filter wheel, but just Google
"st8300 pro package reviews" and you should find some.

The requirements for astrophogoraphy are much more demanding than for
observing. The ST8300 has a pixel size of 5.4 microns. To get good result,
you need to keep your guiding to within 1-2 pixels, depending on your plate
scale (i.e. arc seconds per pixel) and seeing conditions. This means that
for good results you have to make sure the image does not move more than
5-10 microns during a 10 minute exposure. I am not sure if the CGEM is up to
that. I personally would not want to try astrophotogaphy with a CGEM mount.
I tried it with a CGE mount (since discontinued) and had about equal parts
success and frustration. The only Celestron mount I would try
astrophotography on is the CGE Pro. There are probably other mid range
mounts that could work, but I just don't have experience with them. One
thing to do would be to join the SBIG Yahoo group and ask people what mount
they are using and if they have a website of their work. This would give you
some idea of what other people are doing.

One other thing to consider is the your telescope. You do not mention what
you have, but if you have an 8 or 10 inch Meade SCT, you will have a lot of
challenges. First, an 8-inch SCT with the ST8300 will have a resolution of
0.56 arc seconds per pixel. This will require arc second, to sub-arcsecond
guiding to get good results. People do this all the time, but it is a
challenge to start off that way. It is like taking up golf by joining the
PGA Tour. If you have the time, persistence, and patience you can get some
great results, but you will need lots of all three.

For what it is worth I would recommend getting as much mount as you can
possibly afford. Consider starting with a DSLR. You can get a top of the
line one for 1500 dollars and a very nice one for about 800 dollars. The
ST8300 Pro Package is about 5000 dollars with the filters. This would allow
you to get started with a DSLR and learn the ins and outs. After year or two
you could consider moving to the ST8300 with some experience under your
belt.

Thanks,

Bernard