[AZ-Observing] Re: Saturday night at Cherry Rd.

  • From: BillFerris@xxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 10:46:55 EDT

Rick,

Megastar shows NGC 7133 as a reflection nebula, 9'.5x6'.8, 20' south and one
degree west of the open cluster NGC 7142. NGC 7129, 2'.7 in diameter, is
shown another 15' west of NGC 7133 and described as a "cluster + nebula."
Perhaps, you observed NGC 7133?

Regarding NGC 7142, I observed this on August 17. Under 82X magnification in
my 10-inch, this open cluster revealed 16 members embedded within an
unresolved glow, 5' in diameter. PPM 23179 was visible 8' due north. Megastar
shows the cluster nearly centered on GSC 4274:1845 however, my sketch shows
the cluster immediately to the south of the GSC star.

Regards,

Bill Ferris
Flagstaff

Rick Tejera wrote:

> The enigma of the night was NGC 7129, an open cluster in Cepheus. The Dreyer
> description says this is a remarkable object, Considerably faint, pretty
> large, gradually brighter toward the middle. It ain't so. Both Thad and
> spent at least hour on this trying to identify it. We noted that OC NGC
> 7142 should be in the same field. There is an "L" shaped asterism, which
> according to the Millennium Sky Atlas should point right to it. Nothing was
> noted where the cluster should've been.
> Tom Polakis checked also and confirmed for us that we did have the correct
> field. He did notice a very faint reflection nebula nearby. He said he'd
> check his notes on this and let us know what he found out. Later, we found
> out, according to the NGC project, that this object is not an open cluster
> but rather a refection nebula, so the nebulosity we saw was NGC 7129. Given
> the faintness and lack of any kind of detail, I'm wondering how this made
> the SAC-110. Steve?

Bill Ferris
"Cosmic Voyage: The Online Resource for Amateur Astronomers"

---
with the subject: unsubscribe.

messages.  Thanks.