[AZ-Observing] SQM

  • From: Stan Gorodenski <stan_gorodenski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ-Observing <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 21:28:20 -0700

I just received my SQM today. I just went out, 9:15pm, to take a reading
at the Blue Hills Observatory in Dewey. I got a reading of 21.06 visual
magnitude per square arc second. This seems to be too high, i.e., too
dark, but I do not know how this square arc second measure compares to
what the eye sees. I assume it indicates a  light polluted sky to a
degree because the reading was acquired in less than 10 seconds, but the
instructions say it can take up to a minute to get a reading in a very
dark sky.

Also, the instructions say it is supposed to beep every second while it
is acquiring the reading. Mine doesn't beep. It has a faint tick every
second. Is this normal?
Stan