[AZ-Observing] Re: SMART-1 impact

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 13:51:41 -0400

Brian,

You might be able to estimate the duration of the visibility of the plume from
this time-lapse animation done by the Canada France Hawaii Telescope.  Looks
like it's less than a minute.

http://www.cfht.hawaii.edu/News/Smart1/

The ESA site states that the flash lasted less than a second, but provides no
more information than that.  And you're not alone in being unable to find any
published photometry of the flash.  I haven't read of any visual sightings of
it -- only that one C8/Webcam image.

Tom