[AZ-Observing] Re: Robert Burnham Quotes

  • From: L Knauth <Knauth@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 22:34:13 -0700

When I was a kid in Houston, Texas, I was running a High School Astronomy Club
when Burnham discovered a comet (circa 1961).  I called him in Flagstaff to get
some information on it.  He was very friendly and was delighted that someone
had called from "so far away".  I was scared initially, and I can remember the
conversation well (even the sound of a screen door closing after his elderly
father called him to the phone). I had asked for "Robert Burnham", and whoever
answered got the father instead of the astronomer! No concept of fame from a
comet discovery in those days.

Burnham Jr. graciously sent me a photo of the comet that he had taken, and I
gave it to the Houston Chronicle.  They ran a story, " New Comet, Boy gets word
from discoverer" with a photo of yours truly looking at the picture Burnham
sent. I had taken a summer science course from Walter Haas, who was head of the
ALPO, so I sent it to him as well.  Haas ran it in an issue of "The Strolling
Astronomer".

Tom Polakis got a shock when he was reviewing Burnham's scrapbook some time
ago.  He came across the Houston Chronicle article that I had sent Burnham!
Amazingly, he recognized me in an early incarnation.  No doubt, this provoked
Tom to reflect on the ravages of age.

Burnham was clearly a great guy who was willing to go out of his way to
accommodate some clueless young chap "far away".

Paul

Paul Knauth
Box 871404
School of Earth and Space Exploration