[AZ-Observing] Re: Robert Burnham

  • From: Robert Ayers <astroayers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 09:50:19 -0700

Mr LeBlanc noted that "His only apparent eccentricity in our
relationship was that he asked that I never look for him at his
cabin".

I worked at Lowell Observatory during the summer of 1960.  There were
a couple of summer-employees there and Robert Burnham went out of his
way to befriend us.  I recall Burnham taking us to the south rim of
the Grand Canyon, and bringing a small scope along so we could look at
the north rim: the telescopic views vs naked eye really brought home
how *far away* the north rim was.

Burnham also took me out to Meteor Crater that summer, and taught me
how to "fish" the soil for meteorites with a magnet on a string.

And unlike Mr LeBlanc's experience, I was invited to Burnham's cabin
once or twice.  I recall that he introduced me to the music of
Respighi, which he loved to play on records.

Bob Ayers