[AZ-Observing] Recent Bad Seeing

  • From: Tom Polakis <polakis@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 16:58:56 -0700

Jeff Medkeff in Sierra Vista and I have both noted really bad seeing on the
last three nights (June 2, 3, 4).  This isn't your ordinary bad seeing,
though.  The currents have a definite west-to-east motion, and this
scintillation is very rapid.  We suspect that we are both seeing a
high-altitude air current that has been prevailing over the state.  Jeff
notes that when he focuses the telescope on the seeing cells, they are
farther from his scope than Miller Peak, over five miles away.  Jeff and I
have both observed these "unidirectional" seeing cells, but never for such
a prolonged period.

Has anybody else been equally frustrated by consistently terrible views of
Mars the past three nights?

Tom

---

Tom Polakis