[AZ-Observing] Re: Quick look at gamma Vir in the Lowell Clark

  • From: AJ Crayon <acrayon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 18:14:40 -0700

I ran into same problem with the 14.5" early on and thought I had the wrong
star, even checked it three or two times.  Finally, a few days later checked
its separation and discovered it was far to close to try.

Jack, don't worry about waiting until the separation is wide enough.  You
canreport the telescope didn't separate, notch, elongate or whatever.  The
fact that a telescope didn't split the double is an observation!

Clear skies,
aj

Jack Jones wrote:
Silly me, working on my SAC 110 Best doubles last week, which lists Porrima
as 5" (piece of cake, but dated 1990), I finally tried 100x/inch with my
80mmin only wavy Airy disks and thought I must be looking at the wrong star.
I checked the column in my Tirion/Skiff Bright Star Atlas, and went well no
wonder, it's listed 1.8" (2000) with a footnote about its rapid motion.
GuessI won't get that award til 2100, a little more time than I wanted to
invest. Jack I took advantage of a lull between tourist groups this evening
(May 25/26) to check on gamma Vir in the Lowell Clark. I was helped by the
Clark 'friend' John DeDecker of the Lowell tour staff. With an approaching
deformation zone or weak trough, the seeing was about 1".5, mainly expressed
in the smaller apertures as very jumpy Airy discs. We viewed at several
smallapertures down to the minimum of the iris, which is 15cm = 6-inches.
Theeyepiece was a 22mm Panoptic, which with the long focal length of the
refractor (9776mm) gives nominally 445x. In the smallest aperture, gamma Vir
was merely elongated in what's termed a 'breadloaf'. With better seeing I
would expect it to appear as a figure-8 at the separation that was mentioned
in the recent 'amastro' post. At 20cm/8-inches the Airy discs were just
touching as expected. By the time we worked up to 30cm/12-inches, the image
blur was too washed out to see much of anything. \Brian -- See message
headerfor info on list archives or unsubscribing, and please send personal
replies to the author, not the list.