[AZ-Observing] Precession

  • From: Howard Anderson <handy13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2014 13:24:15 -0700

Hi,
I have written C++ code to do precession.  It works and
agrees with other systems out on the internet.  It uses the
math from Jean Meeus' "Astronomical Algorithms."

Since precession of the Earth has a period of about 60,000 years,
I thought for a final check I should put in RA and Dec and
precess with a value of 62,000 years.

Since I am a mathematician with a strong physics background,
I expected to get new coordinates similar to the old ones.

Shockingly they are WAY off.

Well not too shockingly perhaps because years ago
I discovered that physicists use lots of truncated series and
throw lots of stuff away.  (E.g.,  in a statistical mechanics course
I took, I was asked to derive the Boltzmann Transport Equation
from scratch.  When I finished, the equation contained a Jacobian
matrix.  When I questioned my professor, he looked and said "Oh,
those are second-order partials.  Just throw them away!"
Actually, they have meaning in a crystal-lattice diffusion process.)

So the question is does anyone know of a rigorous derivation of
astronomical precession that would give repeatable results for
multiples of 60,000 years?  I thought Euler provided everything
necessary, 260 years ago, to solve this stuff with precision.  :-)

And I realize that other effects would mess up the "true" precision
of the result over centuries but I would feel better if I thought we
at least tried to start from something repeatable...

Thanks,

Howard
http://www.astroshow.com