[AZ-Observing] Possible explanation

  • From: "Cary B. Grant," <cbgrant@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wayne aka Mr. Galaxy" <mrgalaxy@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 11:25:29 -0700

Wayne,
I've been doing some more research on atmospheric seeing, looking at how far
the visible horizon is for an observer, and the effect refraction can have on
what an observer is seeing.  I believe it is very possible what I was seeing
was indeed only at normal aircraft altitudes and because of the ability of the
atmosphere to refract the reflected light from that aircraft, make it possible
for us to see it over 600 nautical miles away.  Observers on the ground are
very familiar with the poor seeing the atmosphere produces when an astronomical
target is less that 20 degrees above the horizon.  As I recall the target I was
watching was in this area.  I have found some formulas for calculating this
effect and when I have time to work on them I hope to have more answers.  What
I do wonder is since the reflected or original source light was so bright, I
think it was a rather large aircraft.  Wonder if SOFIA or the Airborne Battle
Laser Aircraft was flying?

Cary