[AZ-Observing] Planetaries - and a new Movie!

  • From: ketelsen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 09:04:30 -0700 (MST)

Hi All-

Just a quick note - I scheduled the picnic area on Kitt Peak for last
saturday and had a great night.  My goal was to shoot a few of the objects
that looked so good thru Sam Herchak's scope at the All-AZ Star Party last
dark of the moon.  All were taken with the Canon 20Da and 11" F/3.5
Newtonian with Paracorr, so are equivalent to about 1000mm focal length @
f/4.  I had noise reduction turned on, so was taking darks after the light
exposures.

First up - not a planetary, but you've got to warm up to them, right?  Its
NGC 7635, the Bubble Nebula.  This is an average of 6 - 4 minute
exposures.  All images are reduced to 800 pixels wide to facilitate easy
downloads...

http://alice.as.arizona.edu/~ketelsen/NGC7635BubbleAve6sm.jpg

Next up is Jones1 in Pegasas - sorry, I don't have the PK designation in
front of me.  It was faint, even in Sam's 20", so I felt lucky to capture
it here.  It is big, though!  Another 24 minute equivalent exposure.

http://alice.as.arizona.edu/~ketelsen/Jones1.jpg

Sam showed me this one - down low in Fornax - NGC 1360.  Surprisingly
bright and large, but man, it looks like no planetary I've ever seen.
Make sure you hunt it down, it should be visible even in small telescopes.
 This one is also 6 - 4 minute exposures.

http://alice.as.arizona.edu/~ketelsen/N1360ave6sm.jpg

Just for comparison sake, I took a snapshot of the Ring nebula, M57.  This
is a 60 second unguided exposure...

http://alice.as.arizona.edu/~ketelsen/NGC6720M57sm.jpg

I didn't go any longer because there is just not enough image scale with
only a 1 meter focal length...  I need larger targets!  The Crab Nebula
was just marginally big enough - 16 minutes exposure...

http://alice.as.arizona.edu/~ketelsen/M1CrabAve4sm.jpg

Finally, during the sunset, I took a sequence of exposures of the radio
telescope and mountaintop domes during twilight.  This is put together
from those exposures, taken every 2 minutes.  Exposures ranged from about
.001 second while the sun was still up, to 40 seconds when dark.  That is
why "twilight" lasted so long!  Sorry, it is a 7+mb file, but it is a fun
GIF to watch.

http://alice.as.arizona.edu/~ketelsen/KPNO.gif

I hope you enjoy, and had a great weekend of observing.  I may go out
tonight and shoot a couple more targets as an intro to the long weekend.
Have a great turkey day!

-Dean