[AZ-Observing] Re: Pilgrimage to Palomar

  • From: "Rotramel, Rick (AZ77)" <rick.rotramel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 10:50:18 -0700

All,

This sounds exactly like my visit to Palomar back in the 80's with my mom.
Even back then the visitors chamber/museum had the same outdated materials.
And, I pressed the front of my camera lens up against the plexiglass window
to get a decent shot of the famed telescope without the reflections. They
came out pretty good. Yeah, I had the same feeling back then as you do now.
What a shame.

Rick R.
SAC

From: BillFerris@xxxxxxx [mailto:BillFerris@xxxxxxx]

Having paid our respects, we walked back to the parking lot and made the
short drive to Mother's Kitchens for a late lunch. If not for the time spent
photographing the dome and telescope, our visit would have lasted all of 15-
to 20-minutes. And it would not surprise me if this is the average length of
visit for most people. It is truly a shame that so minimal an investment has
been made in the visitor program at Palomar Observatory. The folks at
Caltech are really missing an opportunity. The 200-inch Hale telescope is
among the greatest technical achievements of the 20th-century and it
deserves better.

Regards,

Bill in Flagstaff