[AZ-Observing] One opening for Mt.GrahamInternationalObservatoriesTourSept.13th

  • From: "Jennifer Polakis" <m24@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <EVAC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 21:38:18 -0700

_One_ opening for this trip has become available due to a cancellation.

Please read through this invitation to decide if you'd like to go, then
immediately reply to me by filling in your name, addresses, etc. in the
place near the bottom of this invitation--I'll post again when this opening
is taken.

Read through this invitation and decide if you'd like to go. There are
important things to consider health-wise due to the altitude, and a twisty
turny van ride up the mountain, cost considerations like $35 per person,
round-trip gas $ to Safford, & dinner at Safford, and time considerations
like waking up very early on a Saturday morning.

AFTER YOU'VE READ THROUGH THIS, if you'd like to go, fill out the questions
at the end of the invitation and reply back directly to me:  Jennifer
Polakis M24@xxxxxxx 480 967-1658 and I'll reserve your spot(s). (Don't use

MT. GRAHAM INTERNATIONAL OBSERVATORIES TOURS, SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 13, 2014

I’ve reserved another Saturday tour of the Mt. Graham observatories for
those who missed out on the May 2014 trips.

It is a great opportunity to tour some great observatories--The Vatican
Advanced Technology Telescope, the Arizona Radio Observatory, and the Large
Binocular Telescope--with some astronomy-minded folks.  It's located on the
beautiful sky island of Mt. Graham with interesting geology, pristine
eco-systems, and cool fresh air.

Tours are limited to 18 people.

Before committing to go, it is important that you know these things:

Because of the altitude (over 10,500 feet) and the “thin air,” this visit is
not recommended for those persons who may have a heart condition or
respiratory problems. Children must be at least 8 years old and well
supervised.

Please note: As per University of Arizona and Arizona Board of Regent's
policy 5-303, the Mount Graham International Observatory is a Weapons Free
Zone.

This trip takes the entire day, and you’ll have to get up very early on a
Saturday morning.  It’s 3 hours to drive from greater Phoenix to Safford and
we will need to be to the Safford Discovery Park Campus by 9 o’clock in the
morning.

The van ride up the mountain has several (100+) curves and hairpin turns,
some with no guard rails. If you get car sick you will need to bring some
Dramamine for nausea.

We do a lot of standing and walking.  Two of the observatories have
elevators; one has 3 flights of stairs.

The cost of the tour has been reduced for our group to $35 per person (from
$40) and includes a lunch and the 40 mile bus ride from the bottom of Mt.
Graham (Safford Discovery Park Campus) to the observatories near the top at
10,500'.  In addition we’ll need to have a dinner afterward ~$15, and round
trip gas to Safford @ $3.50 gallon would be ~$45 for a car with 25mpg.)  So
if you would like to go on the tour with this group, plan on $60+ per
person.

E-mail me directly to reserve your spot(s) by filling in this form. Upon
receipt of this, I'll send payment information and a menu of choices for
your lunch (from Subway).  Upon receipt of your payment and lunch choices,
your will place will be secured.

Name(s):
Address:
Phone & E-mail address:
Emergency contact with their phone/Email:
Do you want to carpool/driving or riding or either/will you pitch in for gas
accordingly $5-$10:

SAGUARO ASTRONOMY CLUB will not practice or permit discrimination on the
basis of gender, age, race, national origin, religion, sexual orientation,
physical handicap or disability.

Kind regards,

Jennifer Polakis, VP
M24@xxxxxxx (480) 967-1658