[AZ-Observing] Observing tomorrow (Saturday) at Willard Springs

  • From: "Brent A Archinal" <barchinal@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 11:34:36 -0700

Several of us from the Coconino Astronomical Society are planning to
observe tomorrow (Saturday) night at the Willard Springs site south of
Flagstaff.  The forecast looks good with clear to partly cloudy skies, and
temperatures in the low 50's F (mid 80's daytime).

The main advantage of this site at this point is that it's one of the last
places of public land (Coconino County) open to the public in northern
Arizona (well, at least in the general Flagstaff area), and yet it's still
at altitude (~7,000') and I believe is a fairly good observing site.
Although this site has been used for observing by many folks up here for
some time, my first time there was this past Saturday.  Weather conditions
were poor then with lots of haze and some scattered clouds, as well as
smoke apparently from CA fires, and smoke in the east from the
Rodeo-Chediski fire.  The haze and clouds were reflecting some light
pollution both in the north (minimally) from Flagstaff and in the south up
about 20 degrees from Phoenix and the Verde Valley.  Otherwise though this
appears to be a good dark-sky site, and I suspect without the haze and
clouds the light pollution would only be barely noticeable.  It is also
quite an open area, having been cleared out for the county trash transfer
station located here.  However the operating part of the station uses only
a small part of the area.  It is also at a higher elevation than much of
the surrounding forest area, giving slightly better horizons (although not
perfect, with trees in most directions up to about 10 degrees) than one
would expect.

Directions to the site are simple.  Take I 17 to the Willard Springs Exit
(#326).  The road here only goes west.  In about one mile the pavement
ends (at the entrance to the transfer station).  Currently the road is
closed at this point since it enters the Coconino National Forest, but
there is ample room here for 15-20 cars to set up for observing, both by
the road closure barricade and on the side of the road.  At other times
when the road is open further, one can also proceed on the dirt road about
100 yards and set up in a wide open space to the right by some cinder
piles.

In any case, I just wanted to let others know of this site, particularly
given the current land closure restrictions all over the state.  This
would probably be a good location for even those in the valley to observe
from, as this is only about a 125 mile drive up I 17 from central Phoenix,
is all Interstate except one additional mile of paved road, and yet is
apparently a good dark sky site at altitude.

Finally, I'll add that weather permitting we will also probably be
observing there Friday and/or Saturday night, July 12 and 13.  However,
given that the monsoon clouds/rain are now (fortunately) forecast to cover
much of the state starting Tuesday (see any of the current NWS forecast
discussions) right now may be the last good weekend for observing for
awhile.

- Brent Archinal

messages.  Thanks.