[AZ-Observing] Re: Observing from New Mexico

  • From: Chris Schur <comets133@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 20:33:08 -0700 (PDT)

Nice observations Steve.  You cant beat dark skies and a comfortable place to
stay right next to your telescope! Very envious....
Clear Skies,

Chris

Schur's Web Portal: http://www.schursastrophotography.com

--- On Sun, 6/26/11, stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

From: stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AZ-Observing] Observing from New Mexico
To: "az-observing@fre" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sunday, June 26, 2011, 5:03 PM

Howdy all;

I drove up to the piece of property that Tom and Jeannie Clark have
purchased and did some observing last night.  It is 25 miles north of
Deming, NM.  As long as you staying well above the horizon it was worth
the trip.  The combination of smoke and dust made anything near the
horizon not good at all.

Once it got to 11 PM or so the Milky Way was up nicely and there was some
detail to be seen naked eye.  I had set up the 12X80 binoculars and
enjoyed some fine viewing along the Milky Way.  The dark lanes in Scutum
stood out nicely and showed some very good contrast with the star cloud.
M 11 and M 26 were pretty easy to see.

The North America Nebula showed as a pretty bright glow with over 20 stars
involved.  The Pelican nebula nearby was much fainter, but it was seen in
contrast to some of the dark nebulae.  M 39 was a large and rather loose
cluster of 25 members at the edge of a dark lane.

Tom plans to use the big shop to block off some of the lights of Deming
and lights from cars with high beams on along the highway.  Even without
that in place yet, it is still a good site, I would rate it equal to
Cherry Road north of Phoenix.

Clear skies to us all;
Steve Coe