[AZ-Observing] Observing at Beaver Creek site tomorrow (Saturday) night

  • From: "Brent A Archinal" <barchinal@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 10:25:29 -0700

Once again, members of the Coconino Astronomical Society are planning t=
observe at the Beaver Creek trailhead site tomorrow (Saturday) night,
weather permitting.  This is located near the I-17 exit for Sedona.  As=

explained last month, this is a pretty good observing site, 10-20 degre=
es F
warmer than Flagstaff (and one of the main reasons we use it in the win=
ter)
due to its lower elevation (about 4000') but still high enough to be a =
good
site.  The current forecast (for Sedona) for tomorrow night is for the
upper 20's F and clear.   The southern sky has some orange skyglow from=

Phoenix, up to about 10-15 degrees, but the rest of the sky is quite da=
rk,
with limiting magnitudes probably in the 6.5 to 7.0 range.  This is an
improvement in both elevation and sky over the "Cherry Road" observing =
site
farther south.  The site is undeveloped, but it's very easy to access, =
is
quite scenic, and has space for about 20 cars to park.

Aside from our own members, we are also expecting a group from the
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (ERAU) astronomy club, so there wi=
ll
likely be quite a few people there observing.

To reach the site, take the I-17 Sedona exit (exit no. 298), but head _=

east _, away from Sedona.  Go about 2 miles, and turn left at the sign =
for
the Beaver Creek trailhead.  After about 1/4 mile on a dirt road you'll=
 be
at the site.  GPS (WGS84) coordinates are:  N34d 40' 29.9" W111d 42' 37=
.6".

Hope to see some of you there observing!

- Brent Archinal
=

---
with the subject: unsubscribe.