[AZ-Observing] Observation of Comet Lovejoy

  • From: stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "Org, Az-Observing@Freelists." <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 22:20:22 -0700

Feb 26 2015

North Ranch RV park near Wickenburg   61% illuminated Moon S=4 T=4  8X42
binoculars  8" SCT

I am fascinated with how easily I found Comet Lovejoy with the little
binoculars.  The comet is moving toward the "W" of Cassiopeia and is a
rather obvious round glow.  Moving up to a friend's CPC 8" SCT it is
rather nice at 100X.  There are three layers of brightness in the coma
and a rather bright central area about 15 arcseconds in size.  The light
aqua color is easily seen and there is a tail of about 10 arcminutes
that is more prominent with averted vision.  This comet is now two
months away from its closest approach to the Sun, it is far from Earth
and still a rather bright and interesting comet, even with a bright moon
overhead.

See ya at the SAC meeting;
Steve Coe