[AZ-Observing] NGC891 in Andromeda

  • From: Chris Schur <comets133@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Az-Observing List <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 07:51:43 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,

I had not shot this excellent edge on galaxy since my ancient ST8i days, so
here's a go with our latest camera, and now my best attempt yet at this
enigmatic object.  Of special note here, is that this object has a B-V index of
nearly .9, and is one of the most dust reddened galaxies in the sky.  Unlike an
object like NGC6946 in Cygnus where the Milkyways own dust yellows galaxies and
we have to process the image to help reduce this yellowing to see what the
object "really" looks like, this galaxy is yellow because of its own equatorial
dust lane material and not from our Milkyway.  So I felt that this color here
should not be "corrected" since this is the galaxy's true color and tells us so
much about its dynamics and composition.

http://www.schursastrophotography.com/ccdimagepages/ngc891-4.html

Clear Skies,

Chris

Schur's Web Portal: http://www.schursastrophotography.com