[AZ-Observing] Re: NGC6357 - last night

  • From: Howard Anderson <handy13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 18:58:11 -0700

Hi all,

Regarding glories.  Yes, there was some response on EVAC when
I posted this some time ago.  I researched it heavily on the internet.

I still think it looked like some sort of diffraction/lens effect caused
by air-compression
generated by the plane.  Maybe not but I was not totally convinced by the
explanations I found.  I have seen "glories" on the clouds surrounding the
shadow of the plane when I was in the Air Force.  Somehow, the effect I
was seeing that I posted did not seem to fit exactly into the classes
described by the
articles I found and the ones that were pointed out to me.  The plane's
shadow
was far to tiny to be seen...

I just saw the message from Jimmy Ray that came in as I am
writing this.

Great image Jimmy!  I see colored diffraction rings in your image.

I once took a "Radiation and Optics" course taught out of Stone's
book of the same name.  I could probably derive something from that
book that would satisfy me but last time I got interested in something
("Why is there Dew on my Corrector Plate" -
 http://www.astroshow.com/dewtell/dewtell.htm) it took me literally
a month to review Thermodynamics (never had a course in that...) and
to derive the correct set of equations.  Near as I can tell, no one ever
posted a solution as general as mine.  (There was a solution for an
infinitely thin "leaf" - for agricultural purposes.  But nothing about
an object of finite thickness such as a glass plate suspended by two
sawhorses...)  Also didn't get any help from the book publisher.  I wanted
the "teachers manual" that had solutions to the problems in the book to
help me in my work...  :-)  No way...  :-)  It was irritating...  :-)
Book I
was using was "Thermal Physics" by Morse...

Anyway, the Glory is very intriguing but I'm not sure I want to devote a
couple
of months to it to derive a solution consistent with the physics of the
situation.  Might take much longer.  Have to know aerodynamics, fluid
dynamics
and optics at least to derive a solution I think...

--

Thanks,

Howard, in Tempe AZ

Http://www.astroshow.com