[AZ-Observing] Re: NASA's Orbiting Carbon Observatory spacecraft launch - Visible from Phoenix? YES

  • From: Gene A Lucas <geneluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 15:07:04 -0700

Hi Wayne,

Yes, it is possible to see the "contrail" (condensation trail) or plume
of the rocket launches from Vandenberg.
You will want to be at a location with a clear Western horizon, of
course.  (See notes below for azimuth viewing angle from Phoenix.)
Many of the launches get up to as much as 20 to 30 degrees above the
horizon, as seen from Phoenix.
Typically it is possible to see the "staging" as the upper rocket stages
separate and fire.
Some launches, for polar orbits, go strongly North or South shortly
after launch.
Many recon satellites are designed that way, so that they can view most
of the Earth's surface (as the Earth rotates beneath the orbit in space).
This satellite is headed for a polar orbit, which of course is one of
the main reason why launches are conducted from Vandenberg AFB -- the
launch trajectory goes over water in both directions.
(The other reason for launches from Vandenberg being for strategic
ballistic missile tests, which typically re-enter and impact at the
Ronald Reagan Test Range in the Kwajalein Archipelago on the other side
of the Pacific.)

A good web page for more information about upcoming Vandenberg launches
is here:
http://www.spacearchive.info/
Information about visibility of the launches, etc. can be found here:
http://www.spacearchive.info/vafbview.htm
Great circle azimuth angles and distances from one point to another on
Earth can be calculated here:
http://www.satsig.net/ssazran.htm
For a typical Phoenix position, lat 33.36 N, long 248.26 E (or -111.74
W), I get the following for Vandenberg AFB (near Lompoc, CA):
Azimuth (degrees) = 283.29 (true) or 273.69 (mag N), Range = 820.7 km or
509.9 miles.

Good viewing!

Check out the Comet while you are up if it is clear !
Gene Lucas
(17250)