[AZ-Observing] Re: Morning meeting with Mars...., first light on Mars (again!)

  • From: Joe Larkin <joeclarkin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 12:37:09 -0700 (PDT)

Some of the best planetary images I've seen were with a very thin
(maybe 1") 17" mirror. So I'm not really afraid of a thin mirror. I
was surprised to see this mirror, though. It looks like a potato chip
next to a full thickness mirror. The weight difference is significant
and does make the tube noticably lighter.

I'm mostly concerned with deformation. I was expecting a 1.25 inch
thick mirror. My research indicates a 9 point floatation cell should
be okay, and my observations seem to say that images are acceptable
at least. To me, acceptable is a mirror that can take ~25x per inch
without much in focus degradation. I would prefer better, and this
miror may be better, but I need more time to find that out. Seeing
held me back more than anything else. But I think I need another
eyepiece or barlow so my next magnification step is a little smaller
than 230x to 400x.

I do know the theory of star testing, but the differences always seem
subtle to me, even on a poor mirror. Seeing wasn't up to it last
night. There were no stars visible this morning, it was too bright. I
tracked Mars past sunrise and it still looked decent.

I think the collimation was decent. I need to add a center spot to
the mirror, but even without it, things were concentric in a chesire
sight. Further tweaking at high power helped a bit.

I think I am going to keep this mirror. It is quite an improvement
over my previous mirror. It was a good price and was delivered pretty
quickly. I wanted a decent mirror for Mars, and I think I've got
that. My next telescope plans may be to send my original mirror out
for refiguring. But if this mirror is on the better side of good, I
may just keep using it and then my next upgrade would be a decent 15+
inch dob.

Joe Larkin