[AZ-Observing] Re: Moon and Jupiter

  • From: Joe Orman <joe.orman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 18:26:47 -0700 (PDT)

I also took a look in daylight.  With the less-than-perfectly-clear sky and my
less-than-perfect vision, it was difficult -- Jupiter kept going in and out of
visibility.  Then I tried Tom's technique of looking through a polarizing
filter, which helped greatly (the roughly 90 degree separation also meant that
Jupiter and the moon fell right in the band of maximum polarization).

--Joe Orman

Andrew Cooper  wrote:

The thought had occured to me that today would be a good time to look
for Jupiter in the daytime. Sure enough, late this afternoon Jupiter
was easily visible just a couple degrees east of the Moon. The roughly
90 degree separation from Jupiter to the Sun is about perfect for a late
afternoon attempt at a daytime Jupiter sighting.