[AZ-Observing] Moon Occults Regulus

  • From: BillFerris@xxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 23:54:35 EST

Last week, I was hiking in Grand Canyon. The major part of my trip was
following the Tonto trail from its eastern origin at Hance Rapid to its
junction
with the Bright Angel trail just outside Indian Garden. I woke every moring
between 4:30 and 5:00am, which allowed time for some leisurely naked  eye star
gazing as well as a bit of observing with my 10x20 binocs. As  I climbed from
my tent early Saturday morning, I noticed a waning crescent Moon  just east of
Regulus and realized I'd probably missed that star's emergence from
occultation by a few minutes at most. Dawgoneit!

Nevertheless, the naked eye viewing at that hour was made all the  more
lovely with Venus, Saturn, the Moon and Mars drizzled across the
sky...celestial
baubles. I also checked out comet Holmes, which appeared  obviously "fuzzy" to
my out-of-practice naked eye and as a bright, circular orb  in the mini
binoc's.

Bill in Flag