[AZ-Observing] Mare Orientale quite easy this morning

  • From: "Steve Coe" <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 06:17:28 -0700

Hello all;
The somewhat elusive lunar feature Mare Orientale was rather easy at 5:30 AM
Mountain Standard Time (-7 UT) this morning.  At 175X with a polarizing filter
in place there was an elongated dark marking centered in a "bullseye" pattern
on the western rim of the Moon.  Going to 300X without a filter showed some
detail within the Mare, a light ridgeline within the dark area on the south
side of Mare Orientale.  The mountains on either side of Mare Orientale were
prominent at higher power.  One of those views that you know does not come
along often.

Fascinating to know that this was one of the last features of the Moon to be
discovered by the human eye.  Patrick Moore discovered it with a 15 inch
reflector from his backyard in England many, many years ago.  So long ago that
this was the Eastern limb of the moon at the time;))

This observation is using my 7 inch f/15 Maksutov from my backyard observatory
in Phoenix, Az.  I rated the seeing at 6/10 and the sky was clear.

A fun night;
Steve Coe

Author "Deep Sky Observing--The Astronomical Tourist"
Saguaro Astronomy Club website
www.saguaroastro.org