[AZ-Observing] March informal astronomy courses

  • From: "Christine" <shuplac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ Observing <AZ-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,Terri <alienstarstuff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 11:15:09 +0000

Just fyi; please pass along to anyone you feel would be interested:

ARMCHAIR ASTRONOMY II at the Arizona Science Center

This series of adult evening astronomy classes will be taught in the
planetarium.  No prior knowledge of the subjects is assumed.  The classes
are independent of each other, so participants can attend as many or few as
they'd like. All classes will include telescope observations, weather
permitting.

Registration includes admission to the Science Center for the evening.
Registration for one class: $20 /$15 (members)
Registration for each series: $65 /$50 (members)

Classes begin at 7 pm and end at 9:00 p.m.

March 5   About Black Holes
A deeper look at one of the most bizarre objects in the Universe, and their
effects on the space and time around them.

March 12  Searching for New Planets
The latest scoop on how and where we're looking for planets, and what we've
found and (perhaps more importantly) haven't found.

March 19  Crash-Course on Constellations
Some of the mythological background on the night sky, and modern techniques
for finding the constellations of the northern hemisphere.

March 26  Cosmic Catastrophes
Do you like to be scared?  This is a look at the recipes for disaster that
could face our planet, from collisions with asteroids, to nearby supernovae,
to gamma-ray bursts that could annihilate all life from half of a galaxy!

To register for one of the classes, please call the Reservations office at
(602) 716-2028.

For more information about the classes, please contact me:
Christine Shupla
Planetarium Director
Arizona Science Center
(602) 716-2078