[AZ-Observing] Re: Mag 8.5 Atlas

  • From: gene lucas <geneluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 19:40:09 -0700

Some SAC folks may recall I brought some copies of the earlier (Mag 7)
version of Taki's Star Atlas to the SAC meeting about 6-9 months ago,
and made an announcement about it.  He has now upgraded the atlas to a
fainter magnitude limit.  It prints out well on 11x17 paper, or you can
chop it up into 8-1/2 x 11 pages.  But I don't think there are any plans
to distribute it in printed format.  IOt's easy enough to print out
portions as you might need it, and then have to mark up, make notes at
the scope, etc.
And yes, this is one of many, many projects using the "free",
comprehensive SAC database.  It is included as the primary basis of
object listings for a large number of electronic sky mapping programs.
This has continued since the beginnings of the SAC Database project,
when we just had Z80 machines and dot matriix printers!  "Hats off" to
Steve Coe and all the others who have continued to make the SAC Database
a highly useable and universally recognized product!

Peter Argenziano has been bringing copies (to SAC and EVAC) of the other
"freebie" star atlas, the Mag 7 Star Atlas Project by Andrew L. Johnson.
Here is info on the Mag 7 Johnson atlas and the downloadable files,
along with sites giving a downloadable index for it.
http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=1052
http://astrogeek.wordpress.com/2007/07/23/updated-indexes/
Also available from TAAA in Tucson
http://www.tucsonastronomy.org/PDF/BSIG/MAG-7_Atlas_Intro_and_Key.pdf