[AZ-Observing] Re: M33's HII Regions

  • From: "Jack Jones" <spicastar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 18:30:40 -0700

I do pretty much all the same thing, and then use Megastar V after I get
home to get the exact angular distances. I wonder if anyone uses some kind
of optical aid device to calculate minutes and seconds in the field, rather
than guesstimate as I do based on the eyepiece FOV. A lot of published
descriptions such as L&S and NSOG have a heavy amount of "arc-distances"
included and I'm trying to add more of such to my descriptions.

Jack

> Then later at home, I use MegaStar to determine actual distances and
sizes. The object size estimates are for the apparent size in the eyepice,
which is usually recorded in a sketch. With enough field stars, I can make a
determination that the object--a galaxy for instance--is as "big as the
distance between those two stars" or something like that.

> Anyway, getting back to my recent posting on the HII regions in M33, the
distances I used in that posting were determined using MegaStar.