[AZ-Observing] Lunar eclipse from Phoenix, Az

  • From: "Steve Coe" <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amastro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 10:36:05 -0700

Howdy all;
From my home in Phoenix, it was partly cloudy.  The Moon was somewhat difficult
to see when it was near the horizon, but much easier once it was up 5 degrees
or so.  It had that fascinating "polar cap" effect that I have noticed on
earlier lunar eclipses, where some sunlight is illuminating the Moon at one
limb so it looks like a polar cap on Mars.  The fact that the Moon was very
near the horizon and the light cloud cover I am certain contributed to the fact
that this seemed to be a dark lunar eclipse for the first 20 minutes or so.

However, once the Moon got 15 degrees above the horizon it started to come out
of eclipse and the lighten up significantly.  To be honest, at this point I
lost interest and stopped observing.

I observed with naked eye and 7X35 binoculars.

Clear Skies;
Steve Coe

Author "Deep Sky Observing--The Astronomical Tourist"
Saguaro Astronomy Club website
www.saguaroastro.org