[AZ-Observing] Re: Lunar Ray Visible Now

  • From: Tom Polakis <polakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 21:41:49 -0700

Jack,

That describes "my" ray perfectly.  It is a wedge of sunlight that is
shining through  a V-shaped trough in the crater wall.  The central peak
sees the wider shaft of light, while the lower floor of the crater sees a
thinner and thinner section of the "V" as you work your way toward the
wall.  It has been enjoyable to watch the lighting change in less than an
hour.  Nearly half of the crater floor is receiving sunlight now, when only
the ray was visible along the floor an hour ago.

Tom

At 09:31 PM 12/12/02 -0700, Jack wrote:

>The ray looks almost like a reflection of the peak back onto the floor
>of Pitatus, if that could be possible. The shadow of the peak is wide
>behind the peak and the ray is triangular shaped in "front" of the peak
>(i.e. on the sunlit side) stretching halfway to the front rim. Are you
>seeing that or have I missed the ray you're speaking of due to a change
>in lighting?  Is your ray in line with the peak?  Time = 9:20p.

---

Tom Polakis
Tempe, AZ
Arizona Sky Pages