[AZ-Observing] Re: Lowell Discovery Channel Telescope

  • From: "Tom Polakis" <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Reply-To:az-observing"@freelists.org
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 09:58:44 -0600

Bill Ferris wrote:

> I believe Lowell has selected Hutch Mountain as the site for the
Discovery Telescope.

Brian, Chris and Dawn Schur, and I observed from Hutch Mountain circa
1991.  At that time, Brian mentioned that Lowell had looked into it as a
possible future site.  There is a photo in yesterday's Arizona Daily Sun
that claims to show the site, and it doesn't look like Hutch Mountain.
The photo shows a towering mesa with a red cliff, but I don't believe it
after reading this caption:  "The mesa pictured, north of Happy Jack,
will be the site for the 14-inch discovery telescope..."   14-inch??  $30
million??  Celestron must be pulling out all the stops on this one!

Tom