[AZ-Observing] Re: Low Battery?

  • From: Dan Heim <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 14:35:36 -0700

Stan,

Sounds to me like a low CMOS battery. I had the same problem with my
desktop and had to install a new one. Unfortunately, doing so will reset
your BIOS to all default values, so before you try this, get into setup
during a boot and write down all the settings.

I have no experience doing this with a laptop (perhaps another member
can chime in here?), but suspect it will be a LOT more difficult getting
to that CMOS battery. Check your manual on that, but I would not be
surprised if it was soldered in. Knowing your background, that should
present no difficulties.

Depending on the amount of time your laptop is "off" (and the CMOS
battery is "on"), and how old it is, might allow for a better guess, but
from what I hear, the typical CMOS battery (usually a button cell)
should last 8-10 years. Mine lasted 7.

Dan