[AZ-Observing] Links (was: Re: Cherry Rd Tonight or better tomorow night)

  • From: Michael Collins <cal_donley@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 10:25:34 -0700

On 08/10/12 20:54, Gene A. Lucas wrote:
> Try removing the underlines before and after the web page address, i.e.,
> before "http" and after the slash mark following "satellite"...
> Works for me...

  There is a recommendation from the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
regarding wrappers for Uniform Resource Indicators (URIs) in plain text
messages. URI is a general class which includes Uniform Resource
Locators (URLs) which in turn includes objects such as hyperlinks and
email addresses. The recommendation is that URIs should be enclosed
within ASCII angle brackets. I've followed this recommendation for many
years, and to my knowledge all common email clients recognize the URL as
a valid link.

  Unfortunately, the AZ Observing list server corrupts messages which
include URLs which follow the W3C wrapper recommendation. My
recollection is that text above or below the URL (can't recall which) is
discarded. Based upon other messages with links which I've seen posted,
it appears that double quotes and parentheses may be acceptable
delimiters so far as the list server is concerned, however I have no
idea how various email clients handle the associated links.

  I'd provide a link to the recommendation, but since I can never
predict how my message will look after the list server is done with it,
I dare not.
                                -- Mike --
--
cal_donley@xxxxxxx