[AZ-Observing] Leonids from TIMPA

  • From: Andrew Cooper <acooper@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 15:21:23 -0700

Around Tucson we were lucky with the clouds, while bands came through
all night sometimes partially obscuring parts of the sky, for the main
event from about 0200 to 0400 MST the sky was completely clear.  I'll
agree with Wil that the ZHR's were well above 2000 for brief spurts
lasting a few minutes, we were still getting minute counts indicating
rates above 500 steadily into the dawn.

I took the Losmandy mount an just loaded it with camera gear, two 35's
and an image intensified video camera.  I borrowed the intensifier from
a wildlife biologist friend.  He usually uses the gear to film bats.
About 0430 when the tape ran out I just took the intensifier off and
used it visually.  Checking the site of any recent bright meteor you
could often watch trains that were invisible to the naked eye persist
and twist in the upper atmospheric winds.

With the 35mm's we shot repetitive 10min exposures of Orion, Taurus and
Canis Major all night.  One camera loaded with 200 Ektachrome and the
other with 400 Superia.  I know that the brightest air burst and naked
eye train of the night occurred well within a frame.  I want to see the
film!  But I will wait 'til Monday.

I saw my last one  go right through Canis Minor in a very bright sky
(all I could see was Procyon) as I was breaking down the camera gear.
Thus the end of the 2001 Leonids!

--

Andrew Cooper
Tucson, AZ