[AZ-Observing] Leonid viewing at Sentinel

  • From: Chuck Akers <akersc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ Observing <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 05:00:15 -0800 (PST)

I didn't see any flares or any sign of military exercises as was previously
speculated, and no after dark arrivals.  Sentinel had about thirty or more
observers already there when I arrived.  Several tents and RV's were in place
along with scopes of all types and sizes including one enormous 25" Obsession.
Several of the people were from California who obviously drove here to share in
our splendid skies.  Only two of us were from SAC.

The first arrival was at about 10:30 pm and blazed across the sky east to west,
seen by observers at Vekol and Sentinel, (Maybe 60+ miles apart) it seemed to
burnout around the AZ/CA boarder.  (My estimate)

Clouds were in and out all night and at times even Jupiter was a faint fuzzy,
but overall I'd have to call the night mostly clear.  I didn't count meteors,
but at times it seemed to be raining meteors and wouldn't have been possible to
accurately count anyway.

Just wondering if anyone else saw an object burning in at about 6 am.  It was
several miles north of Sentinel and was moving west to east.  It flashed
several times and appeared to be burning green, which seemed a bit unusual to
me.  I didn't think to get an exact azimuth, but it did appear to continue
burning until it was very low.  I would say that it appeared to impact, but I
can't be 100% sure.

Chuck Akers

messages.  Thanks.