[AZ-Observing] Re: Leonid Meteor

  • From: Brian Skiff <bas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 09:35:20 -0700

On Thu, 2015-11-19 at 08:45 -0700, J. D MADDY wrote:

After nearly 800 camera snaps and two nights of shooting, a Leonid was
captured at 3:45 AM. This was the only meteor the camera captured this
morning. Wednesday morning it captured 2. But the lonely meteor this morning
was worth it. Quite the Bolide/Fireball. It was nearly 30 degrees long.
Canon camera. 8mm lens. 60 second exposures. ISO 1600.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/59454099@N00/23156391141/in/dateposted-public/

Since the trail is long but originating
close to the notional Leonid radiant, this is
presumably not a Leonid, but a something else.
Since we are far away from the Leonid storm
dates, probably these meteors will be quite rare
for another 15+ years. I fail to see why there
has been any mention of the Leonids in the
public sphere, since there won't be any meteors,
or only barely above the usual background rate.

\Brian