[AZ-Observing] Re: Jupiter Shadow Transit at Opposition!

  • From: Alan Strauss <alan7170@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 16:06:11 +0000 (UTC)

Great post Dean-

Friday night I observed Io's shadow transiting and kept trying to focus the
telescope as the shadow looked suspiciously out of round to me...suddenly I
noticed the moon itself right on top of the shadow, and then I too remembered
hearing that at opposition the moons can overlay the shadows...

I used the freeware program winjupos to generate a simulated view and
"discovered" I was not as bleary-eyed as I thought (for a change)!
It was a very neat observation , one I will look for at each Jupiter opposition
from now on.

Thanks for your blog post and great images!
Alan