[AZ-Observing] Info on new 16 inch

  • From: stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "az-observing@fre" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 15:11:49 -0400

David, Ken, et al;

My new 16" f/4.5 is indeed the usual Dob mount and was made by Tom Clark
at Tectron telescopes.  The mirror is from GSO (Chinese) and is the same
as Ken's Lightbridge.  As I said, so far I am very happy.  I have yet to
have a night of really great seeing, but the scope does deliver good star
images with a nice Airy disk at 220X.  Its first night under dark skies
was my 63rd birthday, last Monday.

I plan to be at the get together at 5 Mile Meadow for new moon May.  I am
the speaker at the Silver City astronomy club on Sunday, May 13th and I
will drive over after that.

David, it fits in my Saturn Vue tow car.  I can either get some friends
into the car to go for lunch, or just me and the telescope and eyepiece
box, take your pick.

Wayne, I am very happy with the Sky Commander.  AJ can speaker more about
it, he has done a lot with his.  Just Google and it will take you right
there.  Vic, who invented the device, is very helpful and provides pretty
quick turnaround for questions.  There is a setup for four different
telescopes to be controlled by the same box, you just choose which
instrument you are using right then.  The latest version has parts of the
SAC data so there is no more RNGC.  I think the NGC data is from Steineke,
same as SAC.  The double stars are the "606" double stars list that Ken
Sikes, AJ, Bill Anderson and I created many years ago.

Clear skies to us all;
Steve Coe