[AZ-Observing] Re: Images of Crescent Venus Setting Over Phoenix Skyline

  • From: "Tom Polakis" <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Reply-To:az-observing"@freelists.org
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 08:30:13 -0600

Steve Coe wrote:

> Tom;
> Do you think that Venus is such an easy crescent in these images because
> of the light gathering power of a 300mm lens?

There's plenty of light.  Venus is an easy crescent in the images because
of magnification of the telephoto lens.  It's a pretty poor lens: a
75-300mm f/4-f/5.6 that Canon makes for entry level users (evidenced by
all that blue false color around the Bud sign).  I do have Canon "L" glass
in a 70-200mm and tried some images with it, but Venus needed that extra
50% focal length.

Tom