[AZ-Observing] Re: ISS pass and planetary gathering Sunday morning

  • From: Joe Orman <joe.orman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2007 14:10:36 -0700 (PDT)

I watched this ISS pass this morning from Usery Mountain Regional Park, in the
far East Valley.  Was surprised to see another satellite about 2 minutes ahead
of ISS on the same track, but much dimmer.  Does anyone know what this could
have been?  A supply vessel, perhaps?  Heavens-above shows a military satellite
called USA 193 following almost the same track as ISS this morning at magnitude
+1.7, but only 15 seconds ahead of ISS so it doesn't quite match my
observation.  I took photos of both passes, and will share them when I get the
film developed.

  Venus and the crescent moon (with earthshine) were a beautiful sight in the
eastern sky, but I couldn't see Saturn or Regulus due to clouds along the
horizon.  I took some photos of this scene also, but I'm sure they'll look just
like the other zillion photos I've taken of Venus and the moon with a saguaro
in the foreground.     ;-)

  --Joe

Joe Orman  wrote:
  For early risers, the International Space Station will make an
almost-straight-overhead pass over Phoenix starting about 5:13 a.m. Sunday
(9/9). Will pass very close to Capella, and about 20 degrees away from Mars and
Aldebaran. This is about 50 minutes before sunrise, so the sky should be fairly
dark, and at magnitude -2.5 the ISS should be very obvious. See
heavens-above.com for pass details.

Then turn your attention to the east and enjoy the arrangement of Venus, the
Moon, Saturn and Regulus. Here's the entry from my Sky Events Almanac:
September 9 (morning): Venus 10 degrees to upper right of crescent Moon, Saturn
and bright star Regulus 7 degrees below Moon, low in E before sunrise.