[AZ-Observing] Re: How deep can you see?

  • From: "Matt Luttinen" <mluttinen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 14:19:28 -0700

Brian and all,

Wow, so some lucky people can see naked-eye to mag 8 or below. This
is very interesting. I think I need to test my own vision to see
where I stand. Even though Sentinel is not at altitude, perhaps a
part of an evening at the upcoming SAC star party could be devoted
to this task. Just the kind of activity for an individual
like me.

Steve, Brian, any ideas on a winter chart for this? What are the
parameters? I would guess we need an area of sky maybe 5-10 degrees
square, passing close to the zenith at midnight or later, with a nice
scattering of stars mag 5 to 8, and none really bright. Your
(or anybody else's) thoughts?

Something else comes to mind. I naked-eye view with mild prescription
glasses, they are in fairly poor condition, and the script
is 4 years old (time for new glasses). I view through the scope,
however, w/o glasses. I imagine that my naked-eye acuity is
compromised a little (or more) by my glasses. I have never felt that
my vision through the scope is lessened by not wearing my glasses.
As best I can tell, I do not have astigmatism. For me, my acuity through
the
scope is more important, so it hasn't bothered me until now. But I
want to get the best out of my eyes, and see as much as I can see.

Does the eye work the same looking through a scope as opposed to
naked-eye? I don't feel like I am focusing on infinity when at the
eyepiece, or at least like when I am viewing at 1x away from the
scope. So my glasses feel unnecessary at the scope. Anyone else
experienced this?

Anyone know an astro-aware eye doctor in the Phoenix area?

Man, I am full of questions today!

Matt

PS: Joe, sometimes I hear music, usually its "Highway To Hell."