[AZ-Observing] Re: History in My Hands

  • From: "Jack Jones" <Telescoper@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 18:31:26 -0700

There's much mention of both Slipher brothers in David Levy's "Clyde
Tombaugh - Discover of Planet Pluto". It specifically mentions V.M. Slipher
taking spectra of M31 in 1912, on suggestion (or orders) from Lowell that it
may support his theory that these objects were solar systems in early stages
of formation. He took spectra of many of these objects, exposing for up to 40
hours on some and noted they all had anomalous shifts toward the red. M31 was
the first!

Jack Jones
Public Events Coordinator
Saguaro Astronomy Club