[AZ-Observing] Guide Scope vs. Off-Axis Guiders and DSLR Imaging

  • From: "Jim Waters" <james.t.waters@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <EVAC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 16:03:26 -0700

I am trying to reduce the overall complexity of my imaging set up and would
like to eliminate my 70mm guide scope and any induced flexure. I am
currently shooting through an 80mm ED scope and 8" f/4 scope and using a
second scope for guiding with an Orion AutoGuider.  I am concerned with
flexure in my setup.  The last time I used an off-axis guider was with my
Meade LX200.  I found it impossible to guide because my guide start looked
like 'seagulls' and were hard to locate.

Would it be worthwhile to try off-axis guiders again?  Would I be able to
get enough light from the pick-off prism to guide off of?  If so; what
off-axis guider should I try?

Jim

EVAC/SAC