[AZ-Observing] Re: Green Laser Pointer

  • From: Andrew Cooper <acooper@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 22:26:57 -0700

The "cool" laser thing has a benefit!  It catches the kids attention,
once you get it you need to turn it to the sky, not always easy, but
getting their attention can be half the battle.  So, now you need to
keep it, once the surprise at seeing the bright green beam subsides, the
laser becomes a wonderful tool to show off the sky.

What I have learned is that properly used the laser is more than a
simple pointer.  Through gestures and motion you can start to
demonstrate motions and patterns in the sky.  Talks about motions of the
moon or planets start making so much more sense.  Try pointing out where
the moon will be tomorrow or the next day.  Where will Saturn be a week
from now, or a month.  Rotation of the earth and the position of the
North Star make so much more sense to people when you use a green laser
properly.

I have just begun to learn what I can do with it, but it is certainly
part of the arsenal, sometimes as important as the telescope.

Andrew

Andrew Cooper
http://www.siowl.com